ABOUT ME:

ABOUT ME: I am a lifelong movie lover. So much of one, that my first job ever was as an usher at a movie theater. I was immediately hooked, stayed for 5 years, worked every job and eventually managed. I am still a regular movie theater patron and enjoy watching movies at home. I love to follow the box office totals too. It's always fascinating to me to see how a movie fares. There are so many variables: release date, competition, mood of movie-goers. A sure hit flops at the box office, while a low budget independent film takes off and earns millions. I also love movie trivia and discussions. This is just a place for me to share my thoughts on everything related to the movies (all genres). Please participate; I love feedback of all kinds. Well, off to the movies!

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Discussion: Favorite Harry Potter Film



What is your favorite film of the Harry Potter series and why? Since, I did not read the books, the entire fantasy world of Harry Potter was completely new to me. The first film, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was wonderous and exciting. It also perfectly set up the foundation for the rest of the films. The ensemble of actors and the characters they played are second to none. All of the films are visually spectacular and have beautiful music scores. Also, while my son grew up with these movies as they were released, they were memorable and magical family entertainment. So, even though I also really loved Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, the first of them all is my favorite.

9 comments:

  1. "Prisoner of Azkaban" is my favorite, not only for the opening scenes at the Dursleys (which are always a hoot) or for the story in general (it was one of my fave books too), but because it introduces Gary Oldman as Sirius Black. Gary Oldman never looked so good! Loved Buckbeak the hippogriff too. Just a great story all around, and a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I particularly liked it due to Oldman. One of the best actors of our time I believe, and he was great as Sirius Black. Plus, like you said the movie also stands out from the rest for a variety of reasons. Great choice!

      Delete
  2. My favorite is the Prisoner of Azkaban. I loved the book and the movie. It had a great plot. I think the movie also benefitted from the change in director. This was the first movie to take a darker and more mature tone. Chris Columbus did a good job with the first two. But I think the series benefitted with the change to appeal to a more mature audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point. I think if I had read the books, that one would be my favorite, but I couldn't compare experiencing the fantasy world of Harry Potter for the first time to any of the others. I did particularly liked Prisoner of Azkaban because of Gary Oldman. Great as Sirius Black!

      Delete
  3. I have always been a Harry Potter fan and wish that I could go see the new theme park. I have read all 7 of the books and have all of the movies on DVD. I gave all of the books to Nancy after I bought all of the DVD's. I agree that the Prisoner of Azkaban was one of the best of the 7, but my favorite was the final movie, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2. I like that Harry, Ron and Herminie, finally got the best of Voldemort.....I cried at the end because that meant there would not be any more of them......However, I can always pull out the DVD's. One Sunday, Joe and I watched the first 5 movies and finished with the final 2 on Monday evening.....Loved it... We started, about a month ago, to do the same with the Twilight Series, but only got the first 4 done. I also have all of those movies on DVD, as well as taped on my DVR.......So, I can watch them anywhere in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! You are a true fan! I'd like to watch them all in order again. I see your point on the final movie.

      Delete
    2. Now I want to put one of the videos on to watch, but because of your Twilight question....I want to watch them, as well....

      Delete
  4. I am sure that you already knew which Twilight character I would choose.....Edward, of course....If Joe was voting, he would say, Alice.....He is "almost" as crazy about Alice, as I am about Edward.....Thanks for including Twilight movies in your Blog.....You know me and Twilight.....I have all of the DVDs, as well, as I have all of them taped onto my DVR, so that I can watch them where ever I want to, as long as there is a TV in that room.....3 of our 4 bedrooms, have their own TV's in them, as well as our Family Room and our Club Room.....With our new Comcast DVR, it houses all of the movies that I want to record, whether it is from the main box in the family room or from any of the auxiliary boxes throughout the home.....P.S., of course, I also have Robert Pattinson's other movies that have been on cable, on my DVR, as well as on DVD....Just saying......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. I knew you were a super fan! :)

    ReplyDelete