ABOUT ME:

ABOUT ME: I am a lifelong movie lover. So much of one, that my first job ever was as an usher at a movie theater. I was immediately hooked, stayed for 5 years, worked every job and eventually managed. I am still a regular movie theater patron and enjoy watching movies at home. I love to follow the box office totals too. It's always fascinating to me to see how a movie fares. There are so many variables: release date, competition, mood of movie-goers. A sure hit flops at the box office, while a low budget independent film takes off and earns millions. I also love movie trivia and discussions. This is just a place for me to share my thoughts on everything related to the movies (all genres). Please participate; I love feedback of all kinds. Well, off to the movies!

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier



Let me start by saying that I really enjoyed this movie. It is now my favorite Marvel film since the original Iron Man. I know that we have been inundated with superhero movies for the past 5+ years, but this one does stand out. It is also now part of the rare category, where I consider the sequel superior to the original. Other examples being Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Aliens and Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Many consider Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back superior to Episode IV - A New Hope in the original Star Wars trilogy, but nothing quite compared to the originality, excitement and pure fantasy of the first one released, for me.

Now, back to Captain America. We have already brought Steve Rogers (played by Chris Evans) into the modern world in the first installment. While he is continuing to adjust to this unusual circumstance, there are events in the present that need his immediate attention. I don't usually like to go deep into the plot, why take away the surprise. Let's just say there is a fairly easy to follow plot, a not too over-the-top villain or two, plenty of action sequences and some solid performances. Some of these include Robert Redford, Samuel L. Jackson and Scarlett Johannson. Also, Sebastian Stan as The Winter Soldier himself is a little different and effective.

I was particularly impressed that the action scenes did not (or did not seem to) consist mainly of CGI effects. There seemed to be plenty of real cars, sets and explosions in use. This tends to add to the realism, or as close as you can get in a superhero movie. I also liked the addition of Anthony Mackie as a new character. Through the course of the story, bonds are formed, and this also lends itself to actually caring about these characters. The overall scores on www.rottentomatoes.com also agree that this sequel is superior to the original. Try to see it on the big screen if you get a chance. Grade: A

4 comments:

  1. I loved this movie!!!! And I usually tolerate or moderately enjoy super hero flicks...I think there are just too many of them. I think the plot was really relevant to recent events. And I think that Scarlett Johannson's character needs her own feature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments Noe. Good idea about the spin-off. Yeah, I agree. Most of these superhero movies are running together now. This one stood out a little more.

      Delete
  2. I didn't see this movie, although, it was playing at the theater that Keith and I went to, to see The Son of God. I may watch it when it comes on Cable, which will probably be awhile..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you saw and liked the first one, I think you'll like this as much or even more.

      Delete