ABOUT ME:

ABOUT ME: I am a lifelong movie lover. So much of one, that my first job ever was as an usher at a movie theater. I was immediately hooked, stayed for 5 years, worked every job and eventually managed. I am still a regular movie theater patron and enjoy watching movies at home. I love to follow the box office totals too. It's always fascinating to me to see how a movie fares. There are so many variables: release date, competition, mood of movie-goers. A sure hit flops at the box office, while a low budget independent film takes off and earns millions. I also love movie trivia and discussions. This is just a place for me to share my thoughts on everything related to the movies (all genres). Please participate; I love feedback of all kinds. Well, off to the movies!

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Biggest Movie FLOPS Ever




Whenever someone mentions a big movie flop, a couple of names get tossed around a lot, Waterworld and Ishtar. Well, while they weren't what is considered successful, they don't even make the top 10 list for box office bombs! Waterworld did have a bloated production budget of
$175 Million, but it did make $264 Million worldwide. Now, Ishtar did cost $55 Million, and only made about $14 Million back. That is a pretty hefty loss, but it's not even near some of the total net losses of the biggest flops. The animated film Mars Needs Moms stands as the current biggest movie flop of all time. It cost $150 Million to make and only earned back $39 Million worldwide. Studios didn't back down and animated films are currently some of the biggest money makers. Four recent films however, round out the top 10 biggest money losers ever. They were Disney's The Lone Ranger, R.I.P.D., John Carter and Jack the Giant Slayer. They collectively lost about $400 Million! Another famous movie failure was Eddie Murphy's The Adventures of Pluto Nash. This movie cost right around $100 Million to make, and it only earned a pitiful $7 Million total! Somehow, it didn't seem to hurt Eddie's career. He has been able to make numerous films (including many flops) since. As production budget soar higher and higher, the list continues to change. There will always be movie failures, but figuring out why still seems to be the mystery.

2 comments:

  1. Waterworld-neither Joe, nor I, liked this movie and we both like Kevin Costner. Istar-I know that we saw this movie, but I don't think that we even finished watching it. Mars Needs Moms....saw it and thought that it was the worse movie that I ever saw. Of course, Joe liked it because, he likes stupid movies. The Lone Ranger-we never saw that, but I wanted to because I really like Johnny Depp. However, I remember how much it was put down and I never pressured Joe to go see it with me. R.I.P.D.-saw this in the movies with Joe. We both really like Jeff Bridges and wanted to see it. However, I can't remember that much about it.I don't think it made that much of an impression on me, since I don't remember that much about it. Now, John Carter, we have seen several times, this movie is one of Joe's favorite movies. I can't remember much about Jack the Giant Slayer...Who was in that? (Sorry, I didn't look it up) Lastly, The Adventures of Pluto Nash with Eddie Murphy. I may have heard of this movie, but never saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pluto Nash and R.I.P.D. were the only ones that I thought were terrible movies. I liked the rest. I haven't seen The Lone Ranger yet, but it looks good; it just had a huge budget. Pluto Nash was a big budget sci-fi action comedy with Eddie Murphy. It was just plain bad.

    ReplyDelete