ABOUT ME:

ABOUT ME: I am a lifelong movie lover. So much of one, that my first job ever was as an usher at a movie theater. I was immediately hooked, stayed for 5 years, worked every job and eventually managed. I am still a regular movie theater patron and enjoy watching movies at home. I love to follow the box office totals too. It's always fascinating to me to see how a movie fares. There are so many variables: release date, competition, mood of movie-goers. A sure hit flops at the box office, while a low budget independent film takes off and earns millions. I also love movie trivia and discussions. This is just a place for me to share my thoughts on everything related to the movies (all genres). Please participate; I love feedback of all kinds. Well, off to the movies!

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Review: All is Lost

I saw this movie a couple of months ago on DVD, but it still really deserves some attention. It had a limited release in 2013, and it just didn't quite catch on. That really is a shame. Try to find it on DVD, cable or other form of media. The movie's solo acting credit goes to 76-year-old Robert Redford, as Our Man. The story involves an older man well into a solo voyage somewhere in the Indian Ocean. It begins with him waking up to find his sailboat has collided with a lost shipping container. The boat is badly damaged, as well as the radio. He tries to repair the ship and the radio, and he has to battle a major storm. His plan is to make it to the nearest shipping lanes to be spotted and rescued. I'll stop there, not to give away too much more of the plot. Overall, it's one man against the elements, using his strength and wit to survive. Redford delivers an amazing performance and carries the entire film. The only thing I can compare this achievement to is Tom Hanks in Cast Away or Ryan Reynolds in Buried. There may be other examples, but it's not a common practice. All is Lost is also visually captivating and emotionally compelling. A very well-crafted film. Dead Calm is a good example of another thrilling movie on the sea, but it had a couple more characters. See that one if you haven't. This movie was only nominated for one Academy Award, and that was for Best Sound Editing. It did not win that award, and it's dissappointing that it didn't receive ANY other nominations, especially Best Actor for Robert Redford. This would not have been a sentimental favorite nod either! It would have been a legitimate nomination for an outstanding performance. It is highly rated on www.metacritic.com, www.rottentomatoes.com and www.imdb.com and by me too.
Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment