ABOUT ME:

ABOUT ME: I am a lifelong movie lover. So much of one, that my first job ever was as an usher at a movie theater. I was immediately hooked, stayed for 5 years, worked every job and eventually managed. I am still a regular movie theater patron and enjoy watching movies at home. I love to follow the box office totals too. It's always fascinating to me to see how a movie fares. There are so many variables: release date, competition, mood of movie-goers. A sure hit flops at the box office, while a low budget independent film takes off and earns millions. I also love movie trivia and discussions. This is just a place for me to share my thoughts on everything related to the movies (all genres). Please participate; I love feedback of all kinds. Well, off to the movies!

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Don't Always Listen to the Critics......



Here are two movies that were universally panned by critics: The Raven (2012) and After Earth (2013). The Raven starred John Cusack, as Edgar Allan Poe, in this ficticious crime thriller. When someone, apparently inspired by Poe's material, begins committing gruesome murders, a young Baltimore detective, played by Luke Evans, recruits Poe to help him with his investigation. The danger increases as Poe's love, played by Alice Eve, becomes the madman's next target. I thought it was a thrilling and original concept for a movie, and it delivered. After Earth is a sci-fi action movie starring Will Smith and his son, Jaden. It was directed by M. Night Shyamalan (The Sixth Sense, The Village, Signs and Devil). While the plot is simple, intensity and emotions run high. It takes place 1,000 years after humans have abandoned the planet. Animals are now the dominant species. A spacecraft crash lands on Earth, and only a father and son survive. The father is seriously injured, and his son is their only chance for rescue. He must embark on a dangerous journey to reach the location where he can signal for help. Both movies are visually stunning and are loaded with outstanding performances. As an amateur critic, I give them both a Grade of 'A'. Aside from the review, I was truly entertained by both movies. I think they are worthwhile to seek out and decide for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment