ABOUT ME:

ABOUT ME: I am a lifelong movie lover. So much of one, that my first job ever was as an usher at a movie theater. I was immediately hooked, stayed for 5 years, worked every job and eventually managed. I am still a regular movie theater patron and enjoy watching movies at home. I love to follow the box office totals too. It's always fascinating to me to see how a movie fares. There are so many variables: release date, competition, mood of movie-goers. A sure hit flops at the box office, while a low budget independent film takes off and earns millions. I also love movie trivia and discussions. This is just a place for me to share my thoughts on everything related to the movies (all genres). Please participate; I love feedback of all kinds. Well, off to the movies!

Thursday, March 20, 2014

My Top 10 Comedy Movies



There have been so many great comedy movies over the years. There are plenty of others that could easily make up a top 10 list. These just happen to be my personal favorites. I come back to them time and time again as examples of very funny and well-made comedy movies. So, in no particular order, here they are:

1. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997) - So hard to choose one of the Austin Powers movies. The sequels were equally good! Plus, his work in Shrek, Wayne's World and So I Married an Axe Murderer was all amazing. I have to say this is Mike Myers at his best though! So witty and hysterically funny.

2. Christmas Vacation (1989) - This is my favorite Vacation movie. It just beats out the original movie for me, but both are great. Chevy Chase and Randy Quaid were instrumental in making this the best of the series. Very funny and extremely watchable. We watch it EVERY Christmas season!

3. Back to School (1986) - Rodney Dangerfield stole the show in Caddyshack and was great in Easy Money, but it all came together in this movie! Genius!

4. Dumb and Dumber (1994) - I had to have at LEAST one Jim Carrey comedy on here. Again, so tough to choose. Both Ace Ventura movies were insanely funny. Liar Liar, Me, Myself and Irene and Bruce Almighty also topped the list. However, teaming up with Jeff Daniels and being led by the Farrelly Brothers, took this comedy to the highest level of funny!

5. Airplane! (1980) - I think this was the best vehicle for the team of Abrahams/Zucker. The Naked Gun was a very close second. I love this type of silly and zany comedy!

6. Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (1985) - There is nothing else like this movie! It's visually unprecedented, has a fantastical music score, is very witty and will have you laughing throughout.

7. Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987) - I think this is the best comedy movie for both Steve Martin and John Candy, so we get two of the greats for the price of one! Very funny and touching. Steve Martin is a genius, and we lost John Candy way too soon!

8. Groundhog Day (1993) - This movie stands as not only one of my favorite comedies ever but also as one of my favorite movies of all time. A beautiful movie that is very funny, while having a great message. It is meticulously crafted, with every word and moment adding to the whole. The highest level of praise goes to Bill Murray for his performance and Harold Ramis for his direction!

9. City Slickers (1991) - Hands-down, Billy Crystal's best comedy movie! Great dialogue!

10. Billy Madison (1995) - So original and ridiculously funny no matter how many times I watch it! Adam Sandler's crowning achievment!

Again, these are just my favorites, so I'd love to hear some of yours.

10 comments:

  1. Coming To America!!!! Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great one! I think that's Eddie's best too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, just not getting to your blog. Have had problems all day, with my internet. Still don't have broadband. Anyhow, for all of the comedies above, I've seen them all, over the years and I can only say that the only one of your top that I didn't like was Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. I never could take Pee Wee Herman. He was too much for me. I think that I would have to say though, that I would have put Groundhog Day a lot higher on my list, used to watch that movie every year, when they showed it on Groundhog's Day and loved it. Great Job, Brad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I said at the beginning they're not in any order. They are all so good to me, it's hard to rank them. Groundhog Day is one of my favorite movies ever! Yeah, there are usually two camps on Pee Wee; those that absolutely love him and those that can't stand him. Some brilliant stuff there if you give it a chance. I know both movies almost by heart now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My last comment was supposed to start....sorry, just NOW getting to your blog. I need a new modem and Verizon is bringing me one on Wednesday, hoping that it will fix all of my problems I started having yesterday. I currently, do not have an WIFI and therefore, can't use my Kindle which is really upsetting me, because, I use my Kindle all of the time, when I am not on my computer. I have along of brain exercising games on there and need to do play them everyday. Now I have to wait 4 days to be able to get back to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotcha Linda. Good luck with getting everything back online!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like I said, so many great ones. It's really hard to narrow it down. Some others in consideration were Napoleon Dynamite, Superbad, Date Movie, Clerks, Office Space, My Cousin Vinny, Beetlejuice, The Big Lebowski and Coming to America.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blazing Saddles was just mentioned as another great one. Mel Brooks deserves to be on any top comedy movie list as well. My favorite of his was probably Young Frankenstein.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm adding Arthur and Shrek to my own list! Both near perfect comedy movies!

    ReplyDelete