ABOUT ME:

ABOUT ME: I am a lifelong movie lover. So much of one, that my first job ever was as an usher at a movie theater. I was immediately hooked, stayed for 5 years, worked every job and eventually managed. I am still a regular movie theater patron and enjoy watching movies at home. I love to follow the box office totals too. It's always fascinating to me to see how a movie fares. There are so many variables: release date, competition, mood of movie-goers. A sure hit flops at the box office, while a low budget independent film takes off and earns millions. I also love movie trivia and discussions. This is just a place for me to share my thoughts on everything related to the movies (all genres). Please participate; I love feedback of all kinds. Well, off to the movies!

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

My 5 Most Anticipated Summer Movies (Plus One Spring Release)







Another Summer movie season is upon us. Not surprising, it's loaded with big-budget blockbuster popcorn movies. As in many previous Summer movie seasons, it's also plentiful with sequels, remakes and superhero themes. I have to say though, that several of them have really peaked my interest. I plan to see the following movies and some others over the next few months.

First up, is Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I'm excited about this one, because this time Steve Rogers will be battling for us in modern times. I really enjoyed the first movie, Captain America: The First Avenger and his appearance in The Avengers. Plus, if it's a superhero movie, i'll probably show up.

Next to be released is The Amazing Spider-Man 2, in early May. Technically, still not Summer, May is typically considered part of the Summer movie season. Although so far I preferred the recent series starring Tobey Maquire, I also liked the last installment. Andrew Garfield is solid in the role of Peter Parker, and the casting of Jamie Foxx as a villain named Electro is intriguing. I'm not familiar with the villains of the Spider-Man comics, so it will be new to me. I'm expecting this to be an exciting movie-going experience.

In mid-May, Godzilla will hit theaters. While I enjoyed the version with Matthew Broderick released in the late 1990s, this one appears to be more realistic and intense. It will also feature Bryan Cranston and Elizabeth Olsen; both quite critically acclaimed actors. Cranston for his role as Walter White in TV's Breaking Bad and Olsen for her work in Martha Marcy May Marlene (I recently reviewed this movie in the blog). These superior acting talents could really elevate a big-budget Summer action movie to a higher level.

Later in May, X-Men: Days of Future Past will be released. Over the years, I have seen all of the movies in the X-Men series including the Wolverine films. I was quite impressed with X-Men: First Class from a few years ago. This new one looks like it will tie it all together, and possibly wrap it all up, in a dramatic way. Can't wait!

In June, Transformers: Age of Extinction comes out. While, I have enjoyed all of the previous Transformers movies, my one main criticism has been their lengthy running time. I'm not sure how long this one will be, but I think the casting of Mark Wahlberg in the lead role is a smart decision. He has really been on a roll lately! Not only is he very popular, he's a good actor. I'm curious to see the plot, special effects and how Wahlberg fits in.

Up in July is Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. I really enjoyed the reinvention of the saga a few years ago with Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I am a huge fan of the original series, and while I still think they are superior, these new movies are pretty intense. I also like the casting of Gary Oldman in a major role. I think he's one of the finest actors working today. I think the first movie really set up the events that will take place in this one. I'm hoping for an 'on the edge of your seat' time at this movie.

Well, that's my list. What movies are you excited to see this Summer? Please comment and have a great Summer at the movies!

2 comments:

  1. The two that I am most looking forward to is Godzilla and the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. I would like to go to the movies to see both of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choices! I want to see the new Capt America this weekend.

    ReplyDelete