ABOUT ME:

ABOUT ME: I am a lifelong movie lover. So much of one, that my first job ever was as an usher at a movie theater. I was immediately hooked, stayed for 5 years, worked every job and eventually managed. I am still a regular movie theater patron and enjoy watching movies at home. I love to follow the box office totals too. It's always fascinating to me to see how a movie fares. There are so many variables: release date, competition, mood of movie-goers. A sure hit flops at the box office, while a low budget independent film takes off and earns millions. I also love movie trivia and discussions. This is just a place for me to share my thoughts on everything related to the movies (all genres). Please participate; I love feedback of all kinds. Well, off to the movies!

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

My Top 10 Original Film Scores

Here is a list of 10+ of my favorite original film scores. They are not really in any order, because they are all so good, it's almost impossible to rank them. They cover a fairly wide range of styles and sound. Plus, i'll cheat a little for #1. I have to give the highest praise to John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith. Both have had incredible careers as composers of countless film and television scores. Without their film scores, many of our favorite movies would not have had the same impact.

10. Batman - Danny Elfman (Beetlejuice, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Darkman)

9. Halloween - John Carpenter (The Fog, Christine, Escape from New York)

8. The Untouchables - Ennio Morricone (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly)

7. Back to the Future - Alan Silvestri (Also Parts II and III, Forrest Gump, Predator)

6. Sherlock Holmes - Hans Zimmer (Pirates of the Caribbean, The Dark Knight)

5. National Treasure - Trevor Rabin (Remember the Titans, The Guardian)

4. Blade Runner - Vangelis (Won the Academy Award for Chariots of Fire)

3. Robocop - Basil Poledouris (Starship Troopers, The Hunt for Red October)

2. Rocky - Bill Conti (The Right Stuff, North and South, The Karate Kid)

1. John Williams (Star Wars, Superman, Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park)
Jerry Goldsmith (Planet of the Apes, The Omen, Patton, The Mummy, Alien)

There are plenty of other composers and amazing film scores I thought of, so this is not to exclude any. It was tough narrowing it down to these. Let me know some of your favorites.

2 comments:

  1. I do agree with you about all of the John Williams film scores, but the one that I actually bought, was the soundtrack for National Treasure. I still have that in my car, but I haven't listen to it in a long time. That was when I was a nut over Nicholas Cage and I saw that movie so many times, that I fell in love with the soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great one! Original and exciting and brought the movie to the highest level!

    ReplyDelete