ABOUT ME:

ABOUT ME: I am a lifelong movie lover. So much of one, that my first job ever was as an usher at a movie theater. I was immediately hooked, stayed for 5 years, worked every job and eventually managed. I am still a regular movie theater patron and enjoy watching movies at home. I love to follow the box office totals too. It's always fascinating to me to see how a movie fares. There are so many variables: release date, competition, mood of movie-goers. A sure hit flops at the box office, while a low budget independent film takes off and earns millions. I also love movie trivia and discussions. This is just a place for me to share my thoughts on everything related to the movies (all genres). Please participate; I love feedback of all kinds. Well, off to the movies!

Monday, March 24, 2014

Review: The Way, Way Back (2013)


The Way, Way Back is a coming of age story of 14-year-old Duncan's (Liam James) summer vacation with his mother, Pam (Toni Collette), her boyfriend, Trent (Steve Carell), and his daughter, Steph (Zoe Levin). Carell is convincing in a straight dramatic role, and he plays a real jerk. Liam James carries the movie and pulls off the role perfectly. Duncan, at this tough age, is somewhat depressed and an introvert. He is having real trouble fitting in anywhere. Who knew that finding Steph's old bike would be his salvation. Exploring the resort town, he discovers the Water Wizz water park. He soon discovers that he fits in there, finds a purpose and can start enjoying the Summer. He lands a job and becomes fast friends with the goofy but loveable manager (Sam Rockwell). Rockwell's character was reminiscent of Bill Murray in several of his roles. He keeps his job and relationships with his new friends a secret from his mother and others. All the while, completely breaking out of his shell. Great and memorable movie for the whole family. Thanks to my son Ethan for the recommendation. He says it will now be in his roster as a classic Summer movie! Grade: A

4 comments:

  1. The Way, Way Back.....I don't know this movie. I know who Steve Carell is, but not the other two, maybe if I see their faces. I know Sam Rockwell and remember most in The Green Mile and Charlie's Angels. He is a good actor. This movie sounds good. If it comes on cable, I will try and remember to watch or tape it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's a nice movie! The other favorite Summer movies of ours are The Sandlot, Summer Rental and Vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review Brad. The ensemble is great and the main reason why this movie works as well as it does. The script's fine and all, but it is pretty safe and conventional when you get to thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dan! It's just nice to see a simple character-driven movie with solid performances now and then. I've always liked Sam Rockwell too.

    ReplyDelete