ABOUT ME:

ABOUT ME: I am a lifelong movie lover. So much of one, that my first job ever was as an usher at a movie theater. I was immediately hooked, stayed for 5 years, worked every job and eventually managed. I am still a regular movie theater patron and enjoy watching movies at home. I love to follow the box office totals too. It's always fascinating to me to see how a movie fares. There are so many variables: release date, competition, mood of movie-goers. A sure hit flops at the box office, while a low budget independent film takes off and earns millions. I also love movie trivia and discussions. This is just a place for me to share my thoughts on everything related to the movies (all genres). Please participate; I love feedback of all kinds. Well, off to the movies!

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Review: Attack the Block (2011)

The basic synopsis here is a London teen street gang must defend their block against an alien attack. A young woman, played by Jodie Whittaker, is mugged by the gang in the beginning of the movie. They meet up again and must join together to fight their common enemy. It sounds totally ridiculous, but it actually works! Very similar to the way that the films Tremors, Evolution and Galaxy Quest worked. If you liked any of these movies, I feel strongly you would appreciate this one. The genre of science fiction action comedy is a tough one to pull off, but all of these films did. They blend all of these unique elements together perfectly. The characters are varied and believable, and the action is intense. I especially liked the character of Pest, played by Alex Esmail; he is all talk. However, he is loyal to his friends and will fight for them. The actors are mostly unknowns, especially to Americans. This also lends itself to the level of believability. That strategy worked great here and in movies like The Goonies, The Sandlot and Super 8. There are plenty of comedic lines along the way. It is Rated R and the expletives do fly, but it seems fitting to the characters. The alien creatures are somewhat different from what you have seen in the past. This also adds to the unique spin on the genre. Highly rated on www.rottentomatoes.com and well received on www.imdb.com. Get some popcorn and enjoy this well-done, light and entertaining movie. Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment