ABOUT ME:

ABOUT ME: I am a lifelong movie lover. So much of one, that my first job ever was as an usher at a movie theater. I was immediately hooked, stayed for 5 years, worked every job and eventually managed. I am still a regular movie theater patron and enjoy watching movies at home. I love to follow the box office totals too. It's always fascinating to me to see how a movie fares. There are so many variables: release date, competition, mood of movie-goers. A sure hit flops at the box office, while a low budget independent film takes off and earns millions. I also love movie trivia and discussions. This is just a place for me to share my thoughts on everything related to the movies (all genres). Please participate; I love feedback of all kinds. Well, off to the movies!

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Top 10 (Plus Two) Movie Villains

It's really hard narrowing these categories down to 10 or under, so I cheated a little again. There are plenty of iconic movie villains to choose from. Here are my top 10+ in no particular order. Several won the Academy Award for their amazing performances. Again, they are all so good, it's too difficult to rank them. Let me know what you think of the list, and please share some of your favorites.

11. General Zod - played by Terence Stamp in Superman (1978) and most notably in
Superman II (1980).

10. Annie Wilkes - creepily played by Kathy Bates in Misery (1990).

9. Joan Crawford - as portrayed by Faye Dunaway in Mommie Dearest (1981) "No... wire... hangers. What's wire hangers doing in this closet when I told you: no wire hangers EVER?"

8. Max Cady - played equally well by Robert Mitchum (1962) and Robert DeNiro (1991) in
Cape Fear.

7. Nurse Ratched - played by Louise Fletcher in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975). Her level of realism and believability is astounding.

6. Norman Bates - hauntingly played by Anthony Perkins in Psycho (1960).

5. The Wicked Witch of the West - played by Margaret Hamilton in The Wizard of Oz (1939). Gave me nightmares!

4. The Joker/Jack Napier of Batman (1989) and Jack Torrance of The Shining - both brought to life so effectively by Jack Nicholson.

3. Darth Vader - voiced by James Earl Jones in the Star Wars original trilogy (1977-1983) and briefly in Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005). A Classic!

2. Hans Gruber - meticulously played by Alan Rickman in Die Hard (1988).

1. Dr. Hannibal Lecter - I can say this is the 'Number One Movie Villain' for me! Played flawlessly by Anthony Hopkins in The Silence of the Lambs (1991).

2 comments:

  1. I have seen all of your top 11 and remember them all very well. I agree, totally, with your No.1 villain....Hannibal Lecter. Anthony Hopkins is such a fantastic actor and we have seen many of his films and The Silence of the Lambs was definitely, one of his best. We have seen the second Hannibal Lecter, a few times, as well. Another one of my favorites of his is MEET JOE BLACK*****. Great movie with Brad Pitt. Seen it many times, If you haven't seen it, check it out! Also, I have, scheduled to tape, Red Dragon with Edward Norton from 2002 and we started watching it, yesterday, but decided to save it for later. This movie is his third go-round as Hannibal "The Cannibal." Looks good, have you seen it? It's going to be on Xfinity on 03/21/14 at 11:30 pm on the BBCA channel. whatever that it? Can't wait to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red Dragon was very good. I didn't care for the sequel, Hannibal. It was very graphic.

    ReplyDelete