ABOUT ME:

ABOUT ME: I am a lifelong movie lover. So much of one, that my first job ever was as an usher at a movie theater. I was immediately hooked, stayed for 5 years, worked every job and eventually managed. I am still a regular movie theater patron and enjoy watching movies at home. I love to follow the box office totals too. It's always fascinating to me to see how a movie fares. There are so many variables: release date, competition, mood of movie-goers. A sure hit flops at the box office, while a low budget independent film takes off and earns millions. I also love movie trivia and discussions. This is just a place for me to share my thoughts on everything related to the movies (all genres). Please participate; I love feedback of all kinds. Well, off to the movies!

Monday, March 10, 2014

My Top 5 Vigilante Movies








5. The Limey - Most don't include this on their list, but it's one of my personal favorites. Terrence Stamp (General Zod in the original Superman series and the lead role in The Collector ) stars as a father who travels to America to investigate the death of his daughter. He systematically finds those responsible and exacts his revenge, without hesitation. Simple, effective and wonderfully directed by Steven Soderbergh. Grade: A

4. Harry Brown - This one stars Michael Caine as a very unlikely vigilante. He is a widowed Royal Marines veteran living in a London housing estate. The neighborhood is quickly declining due to drugs and youth crime. Many residences are senior citizens and are easy targets for the criminals. Once Harry's friend is murdered, he takes the law in his own hands. Intense, well-acted and compelling. Grade: A

3. The Crow - Brandon Lee stars as a rock musician who is murdered. His fiancee is beaten and raped and also dies. One year later he is revived from the dead to avenge both of their deaths. Although, considered a supernatural action movie, I still think of it as purely in the vigilante genre. I like this movie for its originality, its look and style and as a tribute to Brandon Lee, who was accidentally killed during the production.
Grade: A

2. Mad Max - This is the movie that launched the Mad Max series; so it all started as a simple vigilante movie. Mel Gibson played Max, and Australian highway police officer. As Earth's oil supply is being exhausted, law and order is breaking down. Motorcycle and hot rod gangs take over the highways. Max's partner and family are victims. Losing so much, he seeks justice however possible. The sequels deal with post-apocalyptic world after these events, but this one is pure vigilante. Grade: A+

1. Death Wish - This is widely considered the best vigilante film, and I totally agree. Charles Bronson stars as Paul Kersey, a New York architect whose wife is brutally murdered and daughter is attacked by a drug-crazed gang. Realizing that the police won't be able to help, Kersey begins his quest for revenge. With crime and drugs rampant in the city, he becomes a vigilante bringing swift justice to any offenders he feels are deserving. As the public embraces the vigilante, the police are on his trail. It all brings up some interesting moral questions. Grade: A+

9 comments:

  1. Never saw Harry Brown. For myself Crow at one and Mad Max at 2. They are 2 iconic figures. Never saw Death Wish, maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting! I figure at least ONE of these movies would cross over to everyone's personal Top 5. I also considered Darkman, The Brave One, Law Abiding Citizen, Max Payne and Eye for an Eye, for ones that i've seen. If I made it a Top 10, they'd probably be in it. For the ones I haven't seen, I suspect V for Vendetta and The Punisher would be on there. Check out Harry Brown and Death Wish when you get a chance. The Death Wish sequels are pretty bad, but the original is a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never saw The Limey, but based on your review, I will have to look for this movie. I really liked Terrance Stamp in Superman and would like to see this movie. Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! Yeah, he is an intense guy. Also, see the 60s film of his, The Collector. Creepy!

      Delete
  4. Harry Brown...never saw this movie, either, but sound good, based on your review. The Crow is one of our favorite movies and it was so sad what happened to him. I would have loved to see how far his career would have gone. Mad Max, I believe this was Mel Gibson best character prior to his Lethal Weapon series. Great review! Death Wish...We love all of the Death Wish films. Charles Bronson was such a great actor. A+ review!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for you feedback, Linda. Glad you liked the reviews.

      Delete
  5. Another one of loved of Charles Bronson, also starred Lee Marvin. See Death Hunt (1981) if you never have. Intense! I watched it a bunch of times on cable in the 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deathwish is my favorite as well. Mad Max is very good, especially at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now, that I have seen V for Vendetta and Lucky Number Slevin, I would consider adding them. Otherwise, they would probably be in the Top 10.

    ReplyDelete